Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

I remember when...

I remember when....

Going to my grandpa's house every Saturday for a sauna

Outdoor Sauna in Hancock, MI

As a family every Saturday evening we would all pack into the car and take a drive to grandpa's for our Saturday night sauna.  Grandpa lived on an old dirt road in the hills ~ that is if you can have real hills in Saskatchewan.  When we would turn off the main road onto Grandpa's road, dad would let one of us kids ride.  When we were very little he would set us on his lap and as we got older we would be able to take the wheel by ourselves with dad sitting right beside us.  
The sauna was an outdoor one without running water, similar to this one in the picture.  The water was heated in a bucket that sat on the sauna stove.  There also was a big bucket in the change room for cold water.   The stove was wood burning and the place smelt so great once the stove was lit.
My grandfather died close to 30 years ago and it has been many years since I have been out to the farm.  My uncle and his family lived on the farm after my grandpa  past away and my cousin now still farms there. Although a sauna was built in the house, I am sure that the outdoor sauna still stands.  I am going to have to visit there the next time I go home... 
Such good memories....

Ϡ₡✻   Marlys

(¯`
´¯)
`*.¸.*
✻✿*.¸.* Enjoy your day....`*.¸.*✻✿*.¸.*

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I think it is unusual to have a private sauna, I may be wrong. What a grand Saturday night treat.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, I came from a Finnish background so it is very common to have a sauna in your home and Saturday night saunas are very important. It still is common for people to go visiting and take sauna at a friends or family's home.

      Delete
  2. A family Saturday night sauna - sounds wonderful! And a private outdoor sauna at that...doubly good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A family sauna night! That sounds like so much fun! I love taking saunas, but have never had an outdoor one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound more European, and luxurious! I remember outhouses way back when, and air conditioning, and running water when we went to my dad's family farm in Texas. Don't think I could live without them now LOL Great shot!

    ReplyDelete