Laurium is the center of Copper Country and was initially called Calumet, and Calumet was initially called Red Jacket. In 1895 the name was changed to Laurium after another famous mining town in Ancient Greece. Laurium was initially founded as a mining town and was home to the wealthy Keweenaw society, such as mine owners and captains. Although the mines are closed, many of these large homes and mansions are still standing. In 1900 the population of Laurium was 5643 of those, 2286 were foreigners. In 2010 the population is 1977 and possibly is even less as people have being moving out to find jobs. The end of the mines brought with it the end of livelihoods for many people.
|This building at one time was the First National Bank, now a second hand store|
|Hecla Street in Laurium|
|this building is the top of the police station|
|First Baptist Church|
|Tamarac Street in Laurium|
|walking down the sidewalk on Tamarac Street|
|Laurium Manor ~ Bed and Breakfast|
|Victorian Hall ~ Bed and Breakfast|
|George Gipp Memorial Park. Gipp, Notre Dame's first All - American football player was born in Larium in 1895|
|This is where we call Home Sweet Home!|
information about the area came from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurium,_Michigan.